I get this question a lot and in light of my latest blogging tip on producing your own online video, I thought I would do a simple walk-through of how to post a Youtube video on your blog. While this tutorial uses a WordPress blog and Youtube, it’s the same process for pretty much every type of blog software and embeddable videos.
It’s really simple to embed Youtube video on your blog.
1. You need to copy the “embed code” from the Youtube video you want to post. Here’s where you find that:
2. Copy the code you see there (make sure you copy ALL of it or the video will not work when you embed it on your blog).
The embed code will look something like this:
<object width=”480″ height=”385″><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.youtube.com/v/gFEB1VyvZEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&”></param><param name=”allowFullScreen” value=”true”></param><param name=”allowscriptaccess” value=”always”></param><embed src=”http://www.youtube.com/v/gFEB1VyvZEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” width=”480″ height=”385″></embed></object>
3. Now start a new blog entry. You want to switch to HTML editing before you paste the embed code. You switch to HTML on a WordPress blog by clicking on the HMTL tab in the top right corner of the blog editing area here:
4. Once you’ve switched to HTML go ahead and paste the embed code into your blog post. Try and paste it where you want it to appear in the post. If it’s too confusing because of all the other coding, don’t worry, just paste it wherever and you can move the video when you switch back to “visual” mode.
5. Switch back to “visual” mode and you should now see a yellow box with a “f” in the middle that looks like this:
6. You can now align the video to the left, right, center or whatever else you want to do using the editing menu on your WordPress blog post editing dashboard. You can also re-size the video to fit your blog – to do that click on the yellow video box and holding the small squares that appear in the corners of the video you can make it bigger or smaller:
If you’re having problems still, leave your question or comment in the forum section below.
And here’s the Baby Kangaroo video just in case you want to watch it: